Description

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:37 PM
hi,

I have a ASP.Net website and a phpbb forum for which I would like the logins to be centralized using the ASP.Net mechanism.  I have been looking for quite some time and just found your project.  It looks like this is what I would need but at the same time, the lack of description  has me wondering.  It might be just me, but i'm am not quite grasping what your project actually does and what it's exact purpose is.

Can you explain a bit more?  I would love to try this out!
Developer
Apr 27, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Hi David,

I am in the same situation as you are and I also found this project here which was started by the user Kralizek. He started with the project (at that time as a VB project) but got stuck at the point where passwords had to be validated. At that point I started my development and realized the now existing solution:

1) Accounts can only be created in the forum. So the security mechanisms of the forum can not be bypassed. All user administration has to be done via the forum backend.
2) If you logon to the forum and call your ASP.NET website, you are also automatically logged on to ASP.NET.
3) If you logon to ASP.NET the password is validated against the phpbb logic and if the logon is OK you are also automatically logged on in the forum.
4) Same for logoff.
5) Groups in phpbb are interpreted as roles in ASP.NET and as for users the administration can only be done in phpbb.
6) The phpbb forum may be installed on any database system (mySQL, MS SQL, ... any of them will do).

In the source code you'll find a ASP.NET and a ASP.NET MVC example how to use the providers (only your phpbb connecton strings should be missing). This worked for me in my development environment but honestly the phpbb password logic is very complicated so that I really would appreciate if someone would test the provider.

Do you still have questions? Did your test succeed?
Mar 14, 2011 at 5:30 AM

I just inform you that Andolasoft specializes in delivering Microsoft based applications having core competency in ASP.NET Framework Programming, Dot Net Development and ASP.NET application with ASP.Net 3.5 technology.